telynor

Telynor's Library, and then some

A woman of a certain age who has three cats underfoot, and has the dream of filling her passport with stamps. Books, classical music, tea, cats, movies, art, fancy needlework,  and anything else I can think of.

Shadow on the Crown - Patricia Bracewell I had gone into this one expecting that it was going to be yet another historical romance, but instead found it to be a fairly solid historical novel. Not too many novels are set in England before the Norman Conquest, and this one tells the story of Emma, the sister of the Duke of Normandy who marries AEthelred II, king of the English. Expecting at least affection, Emma discovers herself in a court where her husband sees her as just a vessel to breed up sons on, a mistress who isn't above treachery, and worst of all, realizing that she has married the wrong man when she meets the King's eldest son, Athelstan. Well written, without a lot of stupidity or anachronisms, I had a good time with this one, and I am looking forward to the next book in the proposed trilogy. Four stars overall, recommended.

For the longer review, please go here: