telynor

Telynor's Library, and then some

A woman of a certain age who has three cats underfoot, and has the dream of filling her passport with stamps. Books, classical music, tea, cats, movies, art, fancy needlework,  and anything else I can think of.

Lily of the Nile - Stephanie Dray Well, I can say now that I've read this one. I liked it better than I had Michelle Moran's version of the same story, but it wasn't nearly as entertaining (or interesting) as Adrienne Ashton's Cleopatra's Daughter which was published back in the seventies. This time, there is plenty of supernatural elements and a big focus on the worship of Isis, most of which came off as ridiculous to me. What wrecked the story for me was the constant harping on how horrible and evil the Romans are and how good and noble and heroic the Egyptians are. Depending on how much you actually know about ancient Rome and Ptolemaic Egypt, you might or might not like this one -- as entertainment it's fine, but there are some serious flaws in this debut novel. I didn't. I still don't know if I'm going to bother with the sequel, Song of the Nile.

For the longer review, please go here: