telynor

Telynor's Library, and then some

A woman of a certain age who has three cats underfoot, and has the dream of filling her passport with stamps. Books, classical music, tea, cats, movies, art, fancy needlework,  and anything else I can think of.

The Blood of Flowers - Anita Amirrezvani A moderately good, but not great, historical novel set in 17th century Persia. The narrator (who is never named) is just fifteen when the story starts, her hands clever at making rugs, and struggling to learn how to dye and design them. But when her father dies, she goes to the city of Isfahan with her mother to the home of a distant relation. There life turns out to be nothing what she expected. I found the details on making rugs and the little details of life in Persia of the time, but the characters are rather flat and one dimensional. I had wanted to like this more, but it wasn't to be. Just three stars and a 'maybe' recommendation depending on your taste in historical novels.

For the longer review, please go here: