telynor

Telynor's Library, and then some

A woman of a certain age who has three cats underfoot, and has the dream of filling her passport with stamps. Books, classical music, tea, cats, movies, art, fancy needlework,  and anything else I can think of.

Tragedy ravages a small town and the after effects in The Maid's Version

The Maid's Version - Daniel Woodrell, Brian Troxell

This was a novel that shook me up and stayed with me after I finished it. This is the account of a fire that swept through a dance hall in the small town of West Table, Missouri, and left the people who survived with sadness, mourning and anger. Told through the eyes of Alma, one of the residents, we learn of the gossip and stories of those residents as she talks to her grandson more than two generations later. It's a damn good novel, and Woodrell doesn't waste a word in this short novel -- it's only a hundred and fifty words long. I intend to keep reading his books -- Winter's Bone is also very good -- and I am looking forward to his next release. Four and a half stars overall.

For the longer review, please go here: