telynor

Telynor's Library, and then some

A woman of a certain age who has three cats underfoot, and has the dream of filling her passport with stamps. Books, classical music, tea, cats, movies, art, fancy needlework,  and anything else I can think of.

A royal biography that caught my attention from start to finish

The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance that Changed the World - Greg King, Sue Woolmans

Greg King has become one of those writers that I buy automatically, and when his books land on my doorstep, I tend to move it to the top of the TBR pile. His works on European royalty are well-researched and well-written, with little details that humanize his subjects. This book was a real revelation to me -- his treatment of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his morganatic wife, Sophie Chotek, is spot on, and endlessly fascinating. Both of them have been vilified, treating them both as petty and trivial, but it was their public murder in Sarajevo in June 1914 that would be the spark that ignited Europe, plunging it into the horrors of World War One. Another strong point is that the authors have gone into what happened to their three children after their parent's death. All in all, this gets five stars from me, and a hearty recommendation.

For the longer review, please go here: