telynor

Telynor's Library, and then some

A woman of a certain age who has three cats underfoot, and has the dream of filling her passport with stamps. Books, classical music, tea, cats, movies, art, fancy needlework,  and anything else I can think of.

Small town life in a remote location -- welcome to Haines, Alaska!

If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska - Heather Lende

A collection of short narratives and news blips from Haines, Alaska, as written by Heather Lende. Lende wrote obituaries and short articles for the local newspaper, the <I>Chilkat Valley News</I>. Most of the stories in here are about death, not surprisingly, but there are some that are funny, and almost all of them are heartening, showing a community where everyone knows everyone else. The book isn't that long, and can be easily read in an evening or two. I liked this one, finding it most interesting when Lende discussed the Tlinglit peoples who lived in and around Haines. It's not a book for everyone, but if you are interested in Alaska, this should do nicely. Four stars overall and recommended.

For the longer review, please go here: